Sunday, February 28, 2010

Good Sportsmanship

Jimmie Johnson wins again?


I want to be happy for any driver who wins because it is quite an accomplishment and so many things need to go your way in order for that to happen. However, I find myself wondering if Jimmie Johnson or Chad Knaus has made a deal with the devil.


I am a Carl Edwards fan, but Jamie McMurray winning the Daytona 500 was wonderful. Would I have enjoyed a backflip at Daytona? Definitely. Jimmie Johnson winning two races in a row? This is starting to be reminiscent of the last 4 years of his domination in the sport. 


Jimmie Johnson obviously has the talent to win in this sport. He has proven his ability to be consistent. More than once events have occurred that have resulted in being beneficial to the 48 team and they have capitalized on them. I can not justify any feelings of animosity towards Jimmie Johnson and his team. They come prepared to win every week and that is exactly what they do.


I am a fan who enjoys seeing a different winner every week, with the exception of one driver who shall not be named and I hope never enters Victory Lane again. Let everyone have a shot at the spotlight. 


Is this a realistic view of the sport? No. I just like the "sunshine and lollipops" view that everyone's hard work has the opportunity to be rewarded with a trip to Victory Lane. Dominance by one team is what is occurring in the sport and I figure Jimmie Johnson has to retire eventually. 


Jimmie Johnson wins again?

2 comments:

  1. I call it the "Yankees Effect". If someone becomes too successful, it makes the sport boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJ finds the lines early, and is robotic, once he reaches the front. One hell of a racer. I'm with you - I can't justify the animosity - or whatever it is. I don't go for the 48 when the green comes out every week.

    ReplyDelete